Saturday, November 12, 2011

DOJ Sec. L. De Lima speech before the IBP, Sept. 2011

Welcome to the Integrated Bar of the Philippines Website

(DOJ Sec. L. De Lima speech before the IBP, Sept. 2011 - click link to read full text)


"x x x.

Today, we quote-unquote, “export” our most prized possession – our people. In the past several decades, we have seen the massive exodus of the best among us: the exodus of Filipino doctors; of Filipino managers; of Filipino missionaries; of Filipino nurses; of Filipino care-givers and domestic helpers; of Filipino teachers.

Which brings me to something that bothers me no end. It bothers me that, how come there is no exodus of Filipino lawyers?

My friends from the Integrated Bar of the Philippines gave me two answers.

One answer is that our profession is “non-export”. Meaning, we are really made for exclusive home-use and local consumption.

Another answer is that the Filipino lawyer is “non-exportable”. Meaning, no other country wants us.

A non-lawyer friend volunteered an answer: that the Filipino lawyer is like “renewable energy”. He said we are meant to be locally sourced and locally used. We are indigenous.

Of course, I do know that such was an underhanded remark. I know for a fact that “renewable energy” also means … “powered by wind”.

I know one important reason why you and I have stayed home. This is the reason: Justice, like charity, begins at home.

The initiative of the IBP to lend a helping hand to our overseas workers and the families they leave behind is a gesture both of charity and of justice.

For this, I both thank and congratulate you.


x x x."


No comments:

Post a Comment