Thursday, April 26, 2012

JURIST - Paper Chase: Connecticut governor signs death penalty repeal bill

JURIST - Paper Chase: Connecticut governor signs death penalty repeal bill

"x x x.

Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy[official website] on Wednesday signed legislation [SB 280 materials] to repeal the death penalty [JURIST news archive]. The bill was approved by the Houseand the Senate [JURIST reports] earlier this month. Upon signing the legislation, Malloy stated [text]:
My position on the appropriateness of the death penalty in our criminal justice system evolved over a long period of time. As a young man, I was a death penalty supporter. Then I spent years as a prosecutor and pursued dangerous felons in court, including murderers. In the trenches of a criminal courtroom, I learned firsthand that our system of justice is very imperfect. While it’s a good system designed with the highest ideals of our democratic society in mind, like most of human experience, it is subject to the fallibility of those who participate in it. I saw people who were poorly served by their counsel. I saw people wrongly accused or mistakenly identified. I saw discrimination. In bearing witness to those things, I came to believe that doing away with the death penalty was the only way to ensure it would not be unfairly imposed.

x x x."

No comments:

Post a Comment