Tuesday, October 6, 2015

A Restorative Justice Approach to a Broken Criminal Justice System - By Jennie Alessi



"x x x.

I became a police officer, like many others, to help people. I wanted to make a difference and given the chance to fulfil my goal, in a very noble profession I am determined to do just that. As with every job, law enforcement, was not without its pitfalls. However, in my opinion, the pitfalls are not what one would think they might be. The long hours, layers of administration, public opinion, etc., no, for me, it is the “traditional” criminal justice system. The fact is it just does not work.
It was not long into my job as a police officer, and in particular a juvenile officer, I became frustrated with the “revolving door” system. As a result of this system, the same people in their most vulnerable moments, whether as a defendant, or victim, back at it again. Why does the system have so many repeat offenders, frustrated victims and stressed police officers? Because, the current system “punishes” everyone involved in the conflict, including the police officer and it encourages the recidivism of bad behavior.
I remember seeing the advertisement for Hilbert College and its innovative B.S. in Conflict Resolution and Dispute Studies course. Even though I knew very little about the course, I immediately felt a connection. Police officers engaged in conflict resolution; a new approach to law enforcement. Certainly, I thought, a crucial bond for the two entities, and essential for success. Now that I am near the end of this course, that connection has become an obsession. My forward-thinking is not unorthodox, as a matter of fact, it is progressive and I plan to advocate change.
All that I have learned throughout this course has readied me in my crusade for “restorative justice” instead of “traditional justice”, especially for children. Restorative justice is a mindset of repairing the harm with the offender and the victim, rather than, “punitive” justice, only punishing the offender.
Another perspective that supports my view is, in the traditional setting, so much of what being a human being has gotten lost both for the victim as well as the offender, and very often the police officer. Both the victim and suspect in a traditional setting have no voice, no opportunity for understanding and emotional closure. There is no human aspect in the traditional setting. Responsiveness towards substance abuse and mental health does not exist. Rehabilitation and intervention are not options. This system is far from curative. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, it is injurious. The choices for the offender are limited to jail, probation and a financial penalty. The choices for assistance for the victim’s losses, both emotionally and financially, are at the mercy of the court and government. As a result, it re-victimizes the victim.
However, the fact that restorative justice lends a voice and allows both the offender and victim’s needs to be met, creates a situation clearly divided, to become collective. The suspect, given the opportunity to rehabilitate and repent, eliminates labeling by the system and community, humiliation by the media, and best of all the ability to understand that the action caused hurt to someone. The compensation for the victim satisfies both the emotional and financial needs. Restorative Justice is humanity at its best.
An opposite view, from many police officers in the traditional criminal justice system, arrest numbers increase numbers, overtime pay is received, and professional notoriety achieved. However, the traditional system does not promote job fulfillment, which is evident with law enforcement divorces, suicides and substance abuse statistics.
In the restorative justice setting, as a police officer, it gives me the ultimate “reparation”, in that I was part of a process that gave hope to victim, offender and their families. This style of justice and mindset proves that working in a collective effort to better the community is the way to go. A win, win, win situation. It is truly the way to help people.
I will close with the following quote which has become one of my favorites:
“Crime is a violation of people and relationships. It creates obligations to make things right. Justice involves the victim, the offender, and the community in a search for solutions which promote repair, reconciliation, and reassurance. Restorative justice is an approach to crime and other wrongdoing that focuses on repairing harm, encouraging responsibility and involvement of the parties impacted by the wrong.”
—Howard Zehr,
The Little Book of Restorative Justice
x x x."

No comments:

Post a Comment